Sunday, March 14, 2010

Basket Weaving 101

Lead Fiskateer Rebecca posted on Fiskateers about Gail. Gail is a newer fiskateer (#6870) with an amazing talent! Gail is a basket weaver. Her baskets are GORGEOUS! Now basket weaving isn't something I would normally try, BUT because of Gail's inspiration and the fact I found a "Basket Weaving 101" kit at the thrift for $2.99, I decided to give it whirl!

After opening the kit and believing the promise "YOU CAN WEAVE A BASKET" , I read the instructions, started soaking my reeds and dove right in. The process is some what simple to describe. Over, under, over, under...it's getting the basket started that is the problem. Your spokes (the pieces you weave around) need to be lined up and easily get out of line when you start. After restarting a few (ok 5) times I finally got the hang of things. I'm sorry I didn't get any "during" pictures of the process, I actually found it very relaxing and got really into what I was doing. A couple hours later I had a finished basket. I'm surprised it actually looks like a basket! I'm quite pleased with my first effort. (Granted it is a bit lopsided *grin*) So thanks Gail for the inspiration to try a new craft! It was a lot of fun!

12 comments:

  1. So cute!! I've often thought of basket weaving.Great find thrifting as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful of you for trying something new !! It turned out quite nice !! YAY !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a woman of many talents. What a great basket for your first effort. Have fun with all of your crafts. I may have to try my hand at it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betsy...you did a great job!!! You better watch out...its addictive...LOL
    If you are interested...I can recommend some great books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW - Betsy I am impressed! I like the basket

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go Bets. .. you are very brave!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a lovely job with the basket. I have some free basket patterns on my blog if you would like to give it another whirl.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute! Now I want to try too and I have been resisting picking up another craft! I have no more space for anything! Gail got me thinking too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AWESOME Betsy - this is such an amazing first effort :o)
    TracyM #6773

    ReplyDelete
  10. WTG Betsy. Looks super.
    and great bargain shopping.

    Laura B
    #4961

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome Betsy - and your first try!! Donna#6036

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Continue to Aim Happy!