Sunday, January 31, 2016

PARAGUAY! (When I grow up I'm going to deliver shoeboxes!)

When I was Children's Pastor I told the kids in my children's ministry "When I grow up, I'm going to deliver shoeboxes! This June I am going to be given a chance to do just that!

Please read below for more information about my trip and ways you can partner with me as I prepare to share "The power of a simple gift" with children in Paraguay.



Dear Friends and Family, 
Many years ago my heart was forever changed by a little girl rummaging around a “free bin” at a garage sale. This little girl was my daughter, and she was finding new toys to put into shoebox gifts for Operation Christmas Child. We had packed shoebox gifts as a family since she was born, but it was always at my prompting, yet at that time something had stirred in her heart to do this all on her own. Since that moment I have known that OCC is something special. If the ministry and message of Operation Christmas Child could stir the heart of my daughter at the tender age of 3 to give to those in need, then imagine what it would do to children on the receiving end of those shoebox gifts!

Since 1993 Operation Christmas Child (OCC) has sent gift filled shoeboxes to kids in need all over the world, along with the good news of God’s love. This year marks our family’s 21st year of packing shoebox gifts for this amazing organization! In 2013 I was approached by Samaritan’s Purse—the parent organization of OCC—to represent the ministry as a year round volunteer. I would be a mouthpiece for the group sharing about the ministry and message of Operation Christmas Child to area churches and community groups, along with encouraging and building up an area team of other volunteers to help with this goal. With the ultimate purpose of packing more shoebox gifts to give more opportunity to share God’s love to kids in need all over the world!

Each year Samaritan’s Purse invites a select group of volunteers to participate in a shoebox distribution to see what happens on “the other side of the box.” Shoebox gifts are distributed in partnership with local churches throughout the world to allow them a tangible way to reach out to their communities. 

This year I have been invited to participate in a trip to Paraguay to help deliver shoebox gifts. The trip will take place from June 1st-8th. In addition to the distribution, and seeing for myself the joy on a child’s face when they receive their shoebox gift, I will get to witness first hand the impact Operation Christmas Child and Samaritan’s Purse has in Paraguay. 

I ask first of all that you would pray for me, the rest of the distribution team, and especially the local church we will be partnering with. Please pray for health for the team, pray for finances, pray for travel issues etc. Please pray also for the distribution, all of the customs issues, logistics etc. that happen during any type of event. Pray most of all for the children receiving these boxes, that God would touch their hearts, that they would feel and know the love shown to them by Him and those who  packed their shoebox gift. 

My cost for this trip is between $3,200 and $4,200. If the Lord would put it on your heart to help cover any of the expenses it would be greatly appreciated, as Samaritan’s Purse is a not-for-profit organization and can only do these trips if expenses are covered. 

If you wish to help with expenses, my local church has set up an account. All donations are tax-deductible. Please make out the check to:


Life Church Morris
P.O. Box 679
Morris, IL 60450

Please write: Paraguay in the memo line.


If you wish to donate online you may do so through my church, the button is below! "Life Church Morris" will be listed on the PayPal receipt




Please provide your address if you wish to receive a tax letter at the end of the year.

Thank you so much for your support! I appreciate the prayers of my friends as I prepare to share the good news and great joy through Operation Christmas Child in Paraguay.  Upon my return I look forward to sharing my adventures with you! 


Because Jesus Loves Children!

Betsy Burnett
#CrazyShoeboxLady

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Continue to Aim Happy!