Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Sharing the Creative Heart-Creativation (Before the show)

Every January, members of the Association for Creative Industries (AFCI) (formerly CHA) get together at "Creativation"  the annual trade show and convention. This is a time of connecting, equipping and learning about new products and opportunities within the creative industry. I have a member of the association (and attending the shows since 2003.)

These last couple of years I have been a part of the designer section of the association. The last couple of years the designer section has held a event called "Sharing the Creative Heart". Designer members are encourage to create an original piece of art to leave someone on the show floor for some random person to find and take home. The only guideline, have a heart someone on the piece.

I participated last year and received such a sweet and encouraging email from the gal that found the canvas I made. She shared how it inspired her to create and share with others.

Since I had such a sweet response last year, naturally I had to participate again! My inspiration came from one of my favorite bible stories found in 1 Samuel 16:1-13, the calling of David. In this story the prophet Samuel is told by the Lord to go anoint the new king of Israel. He is told to go to the house of Jesse to anoint one of his sons. When he gets there and asks to see his sons, Jesse brings out his oldest son, Samuel first thought was "yes this is surly the one to be king." The Lord "NO" for "Man looks at the outward appearance, but I look to the heart." I wanted what I created to be a reminder to "look to the heart" in all that you do and with all those you meet.

This year since I had some down time, I decided I just needed to play, so I pulled out my Gel Press Mono-printing plate and made some prints on mini canvases. I love mixing the paints, and adding texture with plates, bubble wrap and more, it's so fun (and very relaxing) and each print is unique!



I had so much fun I ended up with 12 mini (3"x3") canvases.  

 

Then I got to have fun embellishing. I found a whole bunch of brass charms and findings at the thrift store (a major score for $1.99) the brass color was too dull for what I wanted to use them for so I used Krylon's 18k gold leafing pen. I then added hearts. To create the darker hearts I used cardstock and "leatherized it" (spritz it with water, and crumple it up several different times and ways, smooth out and blast with a heat gun.) The "leathered paper", really does give the paper the look of leather, and adds a fun texture to enhance with ink vs. smooth cardstock. To finish off I added touches of flowers, gemstones, even some random stamping and washi tape.


I then wrote the phrase "look to the heart"  on strips of vellum and added those to the canvas as well. To finish things off I added a flat piece of magnet to the backs of the canvas, since they are small enough, I figured people could use them as a fridge magnet.



If you are at the 

be sure to look for:


To be able to take home your very own piece of art from a creative heart!

Products used: 3"x 3" mini canvases, Gel Press Monoprinting Gel Plates, Plaid Crafts Folk Arts Acrylic Paints, Krylon 18k Gold Leaving Pen, assorted brass charms, vellum, flowers, glass dots, felt trim, Little B Washi Tape-Gold Collection, assorted gemstones, hot glue, ranger archival ink in black, and strip magnet.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Continue to Aim Happy!