Friday, July 2, 2010

Wisdom

The Best Advice I was Ever Given

If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him James 1:5

Two weeks ago I celebrated my 17th wedding anniversary. Naturally it becomes time to reminisce. I think back to my “excited” bridal days being concerned with my dress, and the ceremony, and my bridesmaids, and such. Having that starry eyed look as someone talked about being married and having kids and living life together.

We were young and thought we could handle anything “love and the Lord would see us through.” Yet like many young married couples we had our share of “issues” and trials, job changes and moving. Four kids being born and more. Enough to shake any marriage.

Somedays I would get so….. (angry, mad, frustrated, you fill in the blank) that my husband just “didn’t get it” I would wonder where was the guy that I married? This guy that’s in his place must have been a few cards short of a full deck because some of his ideas were way out there (yes everyone super glues a phone to the top of the speaker because the cord is too short and they don’t want it to fly off the top meaning you have only one place to sit while on the phone.)

I remembered being really frustrated over one of my husbands latest what I considered stupid moves and was pouring out my frustration to a friend. My friend Dawn had been around the block a few times and she had been married 15+ years (forever in my book.) Her husband had similar crazy ideas and I knew she would understand. After I poured out my tale of woe I expected immediate sympathy and a mutual gripe-fest instead I got the best piece of advise I was ever given in my life “Betsy, someone once told me before you get all worked up about something ask yourself one simple question ‘20 years from now will this matter?’”

Talk about stopping you dead in your tracks. I thought about the latest thing I was frustrated about and realized no it wouldn’t last. If it wasn’t going to last, why in the world should I spend this much time getting worked up about it? (Thinking about it, agonizing over it.)

What she said got me out of the “this is effecting ME and therefore a big life or death deal” and it allowed me to move on past the issue seeing it for what it was. Just something that was happening today, tomorrow it would be a faded memory. Not something to cause me to be angry over, causing me to loose my temper with my husband, crabby with others that crossed my path and wasted my time dwelling over something that didn’t really matter in the grand scheme of life.

My son, pay attention to my wisdom, listen well to my words of insight-Proverbs 5:1

My friend and her husband moved out of state and I don’t see them anymore. But her advise still rings true after all these years. I still think about what she said when I get really worked up over something “20 years from now will this matter?” At times her advise has stopped me from arguing and letting my husband do what he wanted to in peace. It has even encouraged me to “take up a cause” that concerns my children knowing that YES 20 years from now it will matter.

True wisdom stands the test of time. True wisdom causes you to look at your heart, your actions, and your self and see it for what it really is. As James says “But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness.” James 3: 17-18. True wisdom comes from God and changes your life forever!

July’s Blessing Challenge
This month we will focus on the “Blessing of Wisdom.” I am so thankful that if we lack wisdom that is one of the things God gives us generously if we ask. (James 1:5) As you go through this month, rejoice in how wisdom has saved, changed your direction, caused you to do something you otherwise wouldn’t, or not to do something you thought you wanted to.

As you decide what to create this month think about-

What is the best piece of advise you were ever given?

Have you ever been in a situation where wisdom has changed your course of action?

What wisdom do you want passed on to your children and grandchildren?

Is there a scripture verse you have relied on again and again to offer you wisdom on life?

For more information on the "Year of Blessings" check out Faithfully Yours


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Continue to Aim Happy!