Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Knit together...

So I wanted to learn to knit. I "kinda" taught myself several years ago. I mean "kinda" cause I only taught myself to "purl" (hey it looks like knitting from the back side) and I never learned how to "cast on." I'm going to be spending several hours at a lab every other week with my mom so I wanted something crafty to do with my hands that could also be transported easily. Thus I decided to try to finally learn to knit.

My mom knits so I thought it would be a great time to learn. Today I brought yarn and mom brought needles and she taught me to cast on :) she then helped me with my stitches knitting wise. I stiil don't "knit" I only "purl" (apparently I taught myself backwards when I "learned" several years ago.)

Anyway that was one of the things we brought to do at the lab while mom got treatment today. (it was a 5 hour day)

So as I bumbled my way through learning how to cast on, there was a lady and her care giver (might have been daughter or daugher-in-law?) that were laughing along with my clumbsy attempts. She cheered me as I finally got the hang of it, then kept encouaging me as I got better with the knitting thing. Apparently she used to knit a long time ago. Well before she left she was telling the gal she was with..."You know, I should pull out my needles, I would love to make a scarf to match my hat" (she was wearing a hat someone had made her to keep her head warm during chemo) She left planning her project.

It was fun to inspire a fellow crafter (even with my bumbling attempts)


Here are my first few rows, I hope that it will look like a scarf when it's finished :)

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Betsy! I am proud to see stitches on those needles of yours! I know they cost more, but a good tip I learned is that when you are starting out, the bamboo needles are not as slippery and I found them easier to work with.

    For the longest time, I only knew how to do the knit stitch. DH's aunt was determined I was going to know how to knit and purl and know how to make baby caps and booties - since all I knew how to make was a dishcloth that started as casting on four stitches and went up to 42 and then back down to 4. Once you get the hang of it, you can make practically anything! I have done it now. I can even read patterns! Sometimes I have to cheat and look up the terms or do some backtracking if I haven't played with my knitting for awhile, but it still amazes me that I can take a piece of string and turn it into something! It is what I like to do in the car to keep my hands busy when we go to Phoenix (about an hour and a half). Amazing how much can be accomplished. DH prefers that to some of the other things I take along to do, because it is a nice quiet craft! =)

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Continue to Aim Happy!