Friday, April 6, 2018

Modern End Table from Wedding Keepsakes-the wood guest book (Part 1 of 3)


* This is part 1 of a 3 part series, be sure to visit Part 2 and Part 3
When my a dear friend from high school comes to you for help with her wedding because you are the “creative type” you naturally offer to help anyway you can. 

Amy’s dilemma, a “creative” guest book. The problem with traditional guest books you stick them in a drawer or box after the wedding soon to be forgotten about. Amy wanted a keepsake that would remind her of the family and friends that celebrated her special day.

As I talked to Amy more about what they were looking for with not just wedding decor but  home decor as well.  I found that her and Otto liked simple… rustic..industrial…with a touch of elegance. She also mentioned in passing that they were looking for something to use as a cake platter as well.

This got me to thinking “what if we could make separate pieces, that somehow fit together to become a keepsake when the wedding was over?” 

The idea for a "guest book end table" came into being.


I started with a wood round found at the hardware store. 


Almost 18” in diameter it would allow plenty of space for guests to sign their names. I brought this wood round to our local lock and glass store. (Thanks Jerry's Glass and Lock for the fast service) I told them I needed the glass to be for a table topper and cake platter and they suggested the thickness and then had a piece cut to match ready for me the next day! Setting aside the glass to etch later I began work on the wood. 



After a light sanding, I stained the wood a lovely "Summer Oak" color by Rust-Oleum.




I wanted to add their initial to the round, tracing a large letter “S” lightly with pencil. 


 I then followed my lines and filled them in with the Folk Art Wood Burner. I used the round tip and a "medium-medium high" setting for heat. 




This piece will then become the "guest book" for family and friends to sign at the wedding. 




To see "what comes next" be sure to visit, part 2 and part 3. There I will show you how I created the etched cake platter, and then put everything together. 

Supplies used: Wood Round, Rust-Oleum Wood Stain in "Summer Oak",  Folk Art Wood Burning Set-Plaid Crafts, Wood letter to trace. 

Thank you to Plaid Crafts for providing the wood burning set. 





SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Continue to Aim Happy!