Sunday, April 8, 2018

Modern End Table from Wedding Treasures putting it all together (part 3 of 3)

*This is part 3 of 3 be sure to visit part 1 and part 2

My friend Amy came to me asking for help with her wedding because I am the "creative one." Wanting something different for a guest book and needing something to use as a cake platter. I devised a 3 in 1 project to fit the bill. The first part, a wood round, with their initial burned into it became the guest book. Then I etched a piece of custom cut glass to become a personalized cake platter for their big day.  Today we are going to put it all together to create a modern end table from their wedding keepsakes.



To start I wanted to preserve the signatures on the wood disk. Because they are only on with sharpie and no matter how "permanent" the marker says it is, if exposed to certain chemicals or even harsh sunlight the color can smear or fade. To seal I  first did a light coat of Crystal Clear Enamel Spray from Rust-Oleum and allowed to dry. I used a spray sealer because any amount of rubbing on the marker with a sealer will cause it to smear. This being said, be VERY careful during this step not to touch the area where the marker is. Once the light coat is dry, spray with a 2nd coat and allow to dry as well.

Now it was time to attach the wood to the table base. For the base Amy and Otto wanted something similar to the style of the wedding venue, kind of industrial and a bit rustic. I found this wonderful "counter height" bench on Amazon. It had good reviews, and best yet the seat on the bench was round, so with a bit of luck it should be easy to swap out the seat for the table top.


I removed the hardware from the bench seat and centered it on the back of the wood disk. Then using a drill, screwed the hardware to the wood. From there I simply followed the directions to assemble the bench.



I then placed the glass onto the table top. Remember the "clear bumpers" applied to the back of the glass. I found that by using the raised ones, you could see the etching better. 

From cake platter and guest book to end table!

Congrats Amy and Otto!
May the two of you be blessed on your journey together! 

Supplies used: industrial counter height bench, drill/drill bits.  

Be sure to check out Part 1 and Part 2 to see how the guest book and cake platter were made

Special thanks to the following companies: Plaid Crafts and etchall® 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Continue to Aim Happy!